Let me start of by saying that this is my first time writing an Open Letter, so I do apologize if it does not meet your standards. By that I mean, if you do not like what you see, please do not throw the phone into the pool or flush it down the loo, or throw your laptop out of the window. I know you can afford to buy all of that but just thinking of the gazillion people who cannot.
Here we go..
Sexism-According to Wikipedia,it is a “prejudice or discrimination based on a person’s sex or gender“. Sexism can affect anyone, but it primarily affects women and girls.
You, Serena, are NOT a victim of Sexism and here’s why I think so.
Sep 9,2018- What should have been a celebration of 24 year old Naomi Osaka turning out to be the First Japanese Citizen to win a Grand Slam Singles Tournament, turned out to be a Spectacle…or rather a Debacle of words, broken rackets and unjustified bad behavior…all from your end.
So, where did it all go wrong? Here are my thoughts:
- Patrick Mouratoglou, your coach, has admitted to having “coached” you from the stands, an absolute No-No when it comes to the 2018 Grand Slam Rule Book. That resulted in your First code violation. And you tell me that you didn’t know about it. Girl, who u foolin?!?
- You then proceeded to smash your racket, for which you were given a point penalty and your Second code violation. Serena, my love, admitted, you are a Diva, but did u think that maybe, just maybe, that all those little girls who idolize u might be looking at this and thinking “Yeah, that’s what a strong woman does, and if Serena Williams, can do it, WHY NOT ME?!? More importantly, Did you not think that your Daughter might be watching too ?!?
- Which brings us to your Third violation. You proceeded to call the Chair Umpire, a man who is to be respected if not for anything else, his decorated profession ( a Gold-Badged judge under the International Tennis Federation’s rankings and the first umpire to sit a match in all four of the Grand slam tennis tournaments), a thief who stole her point. What upset me was when you bought your daughter into the argument. Ummmm Girl, you should have thought of your daughter before breaking that racket.
- And the final icing on the cake…Naomi Osaka wins and is ….wait for it, forced to literally apologize for winning, while you stand there like a sour faced puss who just had all her cream licked. I mean, come on Serena, you are a MOTHER for Christ’s sake. You would’nt want your daughter to cheat but would you want your daughter to at like a moronic spoiled brat in front of millions?
- Girl Power– Girl power is all about empowering and lifting other women. Serena, had you done that with Naomi, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
- Sexism- Agreed, it is prevalent. I would know, I work in Construction! Does not give you the right to break things when you know for fact that, if not anyone else, your little girl is watching.
- Sportsman Spirit- Serena, girl, u should know this. I mean, come on, you’ve been doing this a while ow, this is not your first temper tantrum, and this is not the first time you’ve lost. Chin up girl!
I’d like to end of by saying this…NAOMI, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT GIRL. YOU PLAYED LIKE A PRO, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, NOT ONCE DID YOU LOSE YOUR COOL, AND JUST FOR THAT, YOU MADE ME PROUD TO BE A WOMAN.
Serena, take a leaf from her book girl!